The Goody Box - Feeling Old

 

Sometimes my focus on vintage cards makes the realization that the passage of time never slowing down is all too real.  Science says time is a constant, but I disagree.  I can't prove it, but I swear time speeds up the older you get.  It's been 44 years since I started collecting (according to my math that means I started in 1978), and many of those cards I collected as a kid are considered by some to be vintage, others might say they're just old.  

The cards I pulled out of the Goody Box are much older.  In fact, these are 67 years older then when I started collecting and they are the oldest cards I own.  The T206 set was issued from 1909-11, so I'm dating these to 1911.  111 years is pretty darn old!

Fortunately I'm not close to being 111, but this card of Heinie Smith has aged nicely.  According to wikipedia, Heinie may not be his real name because "Heinie" was a nickname for German players.  He passed away in 1939 at the ripe old age of 67.

The second T-206 card I own is Danny Murphy.  He was a second baseman on three World Series teams with Philadelphia in 1910, 1911 and 1913.  He passed away in 1955 at the age of 79.

Lastly we have Frank Oberlin.  I was happy to finally own a player who spent time with the local Minneapolis Millers.  He spent one year with the team, in 1908, therefore it may be safe to say this card was made in 1909.  He was a pitcher with a career 5-24 record, so not quite Cy Young stuff.  He passed away in 1952 at the age of 75.

Prices of these tobacco cards have really shot up in recent years, therefore I'm probably not adding more of these to my collection.  Overall these are in pretty decent shape with good color and only the Murphy has a noticeable crease.  These will always have a spot in the Goody Box, but probably not for another 111 years.

Comments

  1. Good stuff! I have a single T-206 in my collection, but haven't paid attention to current prices. Might have to go look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time has a way of playing with the mind. I agree that time does seem to go by faster and faster with age... but have to admit being stuck at home during the pandemic slowed things down a little (at least for me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My unofficial job is to remind bloggers of their age. Let's see - I started collecting 10 years ago, when I was six. That help? :)

    Love the T206s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Supposedly there's a reason why it feels like time speeds up as you get older. I don't know if I buy it, but you can read about it on countless sites.

    I had three T206's as late last year, but have since sold two of them. As of right now, I don't have plans to get any more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment