Sunday Randomness - Adding to My Puckett PC

 

I've seen a few of these cards in the wild but just couldn't pull the trigger given the price.  I'm not sure what kind of premium Puckett cards demand outside of the regional Twin Cities, but up here dealers aren't shy about bumping up the price for one of the Twins all time greats.  This was a nice sized lot, about 25 cards, and I paid about $20.  I shudder to think what I would have paid if I had tried to buy each card individually.


Whenever I buy a bulk lot such as this, I always think of that car insurance commercial.  You know the one that says "bundle and save!".  That's kind of how I felt when buying these cards.  And no, there weren't any rookies in this lot, but there were a few cards I don't have.  


Starting with this 1987 Classic Green bordered card with Kirby in the powder blue uniform.  Neat card, but I was never much of a fan of those uniforms.

Next up, a food oddity.  Kraft got into the card game the same year ('87) and put baseball cards on the back of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese dinners.  Not a bad card and I like to think that Kirby is smiling at the great airbrush job that was done to remove the team logo.


A nice card from Pinnacle.  I think the striping compliments the pinstripes on the uniform (or the other way around).


1990 Starting Lineup.  This is my first Starting Lineup card.  I never collected the figurines (they took up too much space) but I'll collect the cards.


1991 Legends Magazine insert.  I've seen a few of these at shows but resisted because it's not Topps or another known brand.  Honestly, it's a good looking card and now I have one.


1991 Pepsi Flavor of Baseball Superstars.  Another neat food issued card.  Unfortunately that airbrushing is terrible.  I almost thought that was Tony Gwynn pictured.


1992 Diet Pepsi.  I don't drink diet pop and never knew this card existed but this photo is much, much better than 1991. 


A nice card of Puckett from the 1988 Topps UK minis set.  Yep, the card is not actual size, but this is another set I wasn't aware of.  I love this photo because it sure looks like this could have been taken in the 1987 World Series when the Twins defeated the Cardinals.

Overall a nice lot with a few oddballs that has given me some ideas for future projects.  

Comments

  1. I've got a fair amount of Pucketts if you need any: https://www.tcdb.com/CollectionBrowseP.cfm/pid/4741/Kirby-Puckett?Member=borosny&CollectionID=1&Filter=S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only speak for Portland and Nashville, but I've never seen any kind of premium being placed on Kirby's cards. If anything, I've seen less interest in his stuff when compared to other HOFer's from his era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed online prices are a bit cheaper. For example, his '85 rookie typically sells for $20-$25 around here, but I've seen it for half that elsewhere.

      Delete

Post a Comment