Hobby Observations

I may be fortunate in that there is no shortage of card shows or shops in my area.  In fact, they seem to be proliferating.  It is amazing to see the number of people collecting cards and how well some of these shows are attended.  There certainly is a lot of money flowing through the hobby, probably more so then at any other time in the hobby's history.  Dare I say this reminds me of the 80's before the 90's bubble burst?

I have attended many, many card shows over the years.  Some were crazy busy, others were void of traffic to a point where I heard some dealers complain they couldn't cover the cost of the rented space.  I feel confident that nowadays, dealers are not having any trouble covering their rental cost.  And in fact, I would venture to guess that we won't see any card shops closing up any time soon.   Every card shop I've visited this year seems to be busy enough that they are expanding.

So what is up with this hobby?  I think a rebirth in the hobby started in the early to mid 2000's but in recent times, I think the hobby has experienced a perfect storm.  The internet, online breaks, grading services, manufactured scarcity and even COVID seems to have contributed to an explosion not just of hobbyists, but of investors.  Collecting in general has become more sophisticated.

I hope you're wearing your seatbelt, because everyone from older hobbyists such as myself to those looking at sports cards as an "asset class" to kids just collecting for fun (do kids do that anymore?) are all along for the ride.

This past weekend, I attended a local card show (above) which was absolutely packed.  We may be in the middle of winter here, but dam it was hot in that gym.  Here are some thoughts from the show:

  • Graded cards are everywhere.  I'm pretty sure everyone and their grandma is buying cards and sending those in for grading.  My friends and I (and many hobbyists) from way back then first heard of a grading company back in the early 90's and scoffed at the notion of a 3rd party grader.  After all, if they could grade something why couldn't we?  I mean everyone (even way back then) looked for another opinion on the condition of a card.  How does Crododile Grading sound?  :)
  • Slabbed cards are contributing to "inflation" in the hobby.  Everyone seems to eye up a card and compare it to a grading level, then price accordingly.
  • I'm starting to get annoyed with all the people carrying around luggage cases, especially hard sided cases.  They take up a lot of room, are a bit ostentatious, and I seem to have a penchant for running into them.
  • I'm pretty sure SGC has the worst looking slabs.
  • Has PSA lost their luster?  I'm seeing dealers price slabbed cards similarly, regardless of company.
  • Kids.  Love mine, but others at a card show?  Oof.  Getting cut off by a kid wanting to dig in the same box makes me want to be 10 again so I can push the kid away.
  • Speaking of kids, they are way more savvy and conscious of card values then when I was kid.
  • I'm not sure why any card company bothers with low-end products.  No one is buying that stuff.

Ok, enough ranting.  You made it this far through the post...let's get to some cards!

Some how I made it through the crowd to pick up a couple of needs for my 1956 build.  The Mathews is rough, but good enough for me.

I also managed to pick up a few 1962 Post baseball cards.  The cuts on these are not perfect, but who expects that with this set?


More needs for my '62 Post set build.  


1973 Topps.  What represents this set better then this roller coaster of glorious miscuts?

That may be one of my longest posts ever.  Not only that but I'm waayyy over due for giving cards away.  I have an extra Topps Max Scherzer 70th patch card from the 2021 update series.  Want it?  Comment below and I'll draw a name.  It looks like this:


Comments

  1. Just went to a brand new show last weekend. It was small. Nobody with luggage cases but lots of graded cards and fantasy cards. As long as there's still something for me to collect people can go nuts for that other stuff, less competition for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, there were plenty of fantasy cards at the show. Card shops have diversified to selling both sports and fantasy cards. It just doesn't seem right.

      Delete
  2. Regardless of age... I can't stand it when I'm digging through a box and someone jumps in without at least asking if I've already looked through that part. It's one of my biggest card show pet peeves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to see what the trajectory of the hobby will be. One thing for sure? Those of us just here for collecting and not for investing will still be looking for those beautiful oldies you are showing here!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always liked the '62 POST cards. Some great people were born that year. I've never been to a card show or a LCS. Maybe someday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say you are long overdue for a visit to a shop or show.

      Delete
  5. I definitely think the bubble is bursting on slabbed cards, and I say this as someone who has hundreds in my collection. A BGS 9.5 LeBron James Topps Chrome RC sold for 40% more during the pandemic than it does now - and I checked the prices right after he broke the NBA scoring record. Investors/flippers saw grading as the next frontier in making a profit from this hobby and now the shows and sites are saturated with slabs - mainly for the same cards you'd expect. There's going to come a day when a non-star player will have more value than a megastar's card in the same set specifically because of the amount of copies appraised and slabbed.

    That's the end of *my* rant lol. Thank you for this card show report. I'm glad you were able to find some vintage cards for your collection. The '56 Indians team card is a really nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree on the slabs, and given recent backlogs we knew the flood was coming. Interesting note on the 9.5 Lebron.

      Delete
  6. I haven't been to a show in at least a year. It's not that the one I went to wasn't enjoyable, just it is over 45 minutes away and I don't want to travel that far to then get disgusted at what this hobby has become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find some shows are more enjoyable then others.

      Delete
  7. Look at all of those beautiful Post cards!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice vintage adds especially the Braves :). Pooey on slabbed cards, and those "cases" I'm for banning them, lol.

      Delete
  8. I hope slabs are someday considered a nuisance rather than a positive. Just don't like em.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment