Nonsports Nonsense...It's Cool

 

It's been awhile since I posted about my non-sports cards purchase.  In fact it's been over a year!  But that post was one of the most popular ever for this blog.  In case you missed it you can catch up reading about my Nonsports Nonsense post.  And if you read that post then you already know I completed the Dream Girls insert set that was mentioned.  It seemed a bit odd at the time to complete an insert set before I completed the main set, but that's how the cards fell this time.

That insert set was from the 1998 Inkworks TV's Coolest Classics set.  I had thought about buying the set on ebay, but as luck would have it, awhile ago an 800-count box of these cards were up for auction. I threw caution to the wind and entered the $5 minimum bid.  Fortunately no one else knew I already had a complete Dream Girls insert set or I'm sure the bids would have been more competitive. 😁 


This 90 card set focuses on 5 television series - The Andy Griffith Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Brady Bunch, Get Smart and Hogan's Heroes.


The Andy Griffith show was on all the time when I was younger, so this is something I remember fairly well.  What I don't remember - and I'm pretty sure anyone who watched the show regularly would agree - is that the show rarely featured Andy's and Barney's girlfriends.  So it is interesting to see a card with them on it.


The Beverly Hillbillies were a bit before my time but reruns were on once in awhile.  I was never a big fan of the show.  I actually liked Buddy Ebsen in Barnaby Jones more than this show.


Unless you were hiding under a rock in the 70's, you watched the Brady Bunch.  I checked and none of the cards in the set feature the dad.  Why is that?


Get Smart was another show just a bit before my time.  I don't think I've ever watched a full season of this (it's run ended in 1970).  For some reason though, I remember the catch phrases.


I do remember watching this show...a lot.  John Banner's catchphrase "I know nothing!" just might be one the best of all time.


The back of each card has a brief description befitting of the front.


Of course there isn't just one insert set.  The box I won also had a couple of these cards from the 
Memorable Moments 9 card set.  Though it doesn't show on the scan, these cards are embossed.


There are also auto'd inserts.  I purchased these two recently and will try to complete this 7 card set.

For TV folks who appreciate the old time classics, this is a fun set.  The cards are border to border frames from the shows and the classic quotes are nice.  The base set, including inserts are very much affordable.  The auto's however can get pricey but I like that these are not stickers.  According to TCDB there's also a 3 card Smell-O-Rama insert set!  I haven't seen those yet but will start looking.

So that about wraps up my once-per-year post on non-sport cards.  There's just one more thing.  

I have a few extras laying around now so if you're interested in this set, I'd be happy to send a starter set to you.  Just mention the word "COOL" in the comments and you'll get about half of the set.  However quantities are limited so first come first serve!

Comments

  1. That Barbara Feldon auto is terrific! Get Smart is my favorite show so it would be COOL to get any extras of those. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post about some great shows. I grew up watching those shows. I liked them all. I have never seen these cards before. It would be COOL to add some to my collection. Thanks Crocodile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them in the mail today. Those bring back tons of childhood memories. Thanks for sending some my way! Ready for the snow tomorrow?

      Delete
  3. Interesting set (even COOL). Out of those I watched the Brady Bunch and Andy Griffith the most. I remember Beverly Hillbillies being on when I was little but don't recall much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert Reed's HIV diagnosis was still a bit controversial at the time of this sets release, so maybe that had something do with his absence. It's a stretch, I know, but that's only possible reason that I could think of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be so COOL to get some Beverly hillbillies or Andy Griffith! I remember watching both with my grandmother who meant the world to me. She passed away in 2004

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Matt from Cards Over Coffee

      Delete
    2. Hey Matt I can't seem to find your address please email me!

      Delete

Post a Comment