To Collect or Not Collect Holographic Cards

 

While digging through a random box of cards, I came across a couple of these hologram cards.  I knew these were laying around somewhere but had forgotten where I put them.  I haven't seen anyone highlight these in a blog so I'm showing off what I have.  

These were made by a place called Field of Vision Productions.  This company released a set of cards back in 1991 under the name of Silver Star.  It's a catchy name for a flashy set of holographic cards, which were all the rage in the 90's.  Other then Upper Deck, I'm not sure there were any other companies releasing a set of holographic cards.


I was first made aware of these cards way, way ,way back in 1991 (or maybe it was 1990?).  The card show I attended back then was very large, as anyone who collected back then can attest to the popularity of cards.  I remember seeing this card laying on a table, and I picked it up to inspect it as I instantly recognized the subject, Rickey Henderson.  The seller was pitching this card to anyone standing there and I was impressed with the holographic card (back then, 3D cards were limited to Kellogg's lenticular releases and UD was still new to the market).

The seller and I started negotiating and I remember at first scoffing at his first number (I think he wanted $50).  I'm almost embarrassed to say it but I paid over $20 for that card, mainly due to it being a "prototype".  If I could go back in time I'd force my younger self to load up on Rickey rookies instead of buying this.  Then again, I've never seen another like it.  And I never see these cards in the wild.


Here's a look of the front and back of the "base" card.  These cards also come with a blank-backed ticket (pictured in the banner above).  I haven't the foggiest idea where or how I came to own this card.


This is both cards.  Absolutely no difference on the front.  This kind of demonstrates the 3D effect when you turn the card in the light or check out the video below:

I love how the card starts with Rickey meaning all business then he smiles as the card is tilted.


I do have one more from the set.  Though Nolan Ryan doesn't smile like Rickey does.  Once again, I have no idea how I acquired this card.

In doing some brief research on this set, each of the 8 cards in the set commemorates an outstanding achievement of the players.  I'm not sure why Silver Star noted the achievement on the ticket and not the card.  Its also cumbersome having to store the card with the ticket.  Does the number on the ticket mean anything?  Your guess is as good as mine.  I hate to think they printed more than 120k of the Rickey card.  Also, you may have noticed by the scans, the edges are prone to chipping.

Had I been writing a blog back in 1991 I'd probably be gushing all over these cards.  Nowadays, I feel like meh.  As much as I like holographic cards I'm not sure I'll complete this set (or collect the 1992 set).  However, a brief look on COMC or ebay tells me the cards are cheap and easy to find.  It seems there are more than a few collectors out there disinterested in collecting these.  So I guess I'll put these back where I found them and hope that someday, collectors will be interested enough to a point where I can sell a prototype for what I paid for it.

Comments

  1. That prototype is really cool. Never seen one of those before. I wrote about the Rickey and Ryan nine years ago... along with Justice and Ripken. If you're bored...

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2014/07/yeah-thats-ticket.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't beat yourself up too much for paying what you did for the Rickey back then, I have a feeling that a lot of people are currently buying things that seem cutting edge card-wise now that'll also be worth peanuts (or less) in 30 years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment