1987 Hygrade

 

I threw caution to the wind the other day and bid on an unopened package of the 1987 Hygrade set. 
Ok, it wasn't really anything that would throw the budget off, but I've seen these cards at shows and shops mostly in cheap bins.  A long, long, long time ago I did buy the collector's kit.  You know the one, with the Hygrade binder, a few reprints, some actual junk wax era cards and a price guide.

I'm pretty sure I don't have the binder or price guide anymore, but some of those cards may still exist in a box somewhere and I never intended to chase this set.  Fortunately the auction price set me back only $6, but I'm still not sure it was worth it.


The packaging is old and a bit damaged but I didn't think it was too bad.


Then I saw this.  Rubberbands!  Noooooooo!!!!!  Who at Hygrade thought this was a good idea?


Immediately I knew these had to be freed from their plastic prison.  Not surprisingly, the rubber bands were brittle and broke apart.  The damage had been done, but not to all cards.


Here's the checklist on the back of the package.  One has to wonder that when you look at all of those baseball immortals in the checklist, how in the world did Hygrade decide to include Jim Kaat?


For many players in this set, sketches were used where photos weren't available.


Aaron and Mantle were the top two cards on the package.  Great marketing there.  However thanks to the rubber bands, the Aaron fared better than the Mantle.


I had never heard of "Three Finger" Brown before seeing this card.  Apparently he is in the Hall of Fame.  The back of the card explains that he lost his right index finger and mangled his little finger in a childhood accident.  The card goes on to highlight his career accomplishments but never mentions his real name.  In case you're wondering it is Mordecai Peter Centennial Brown.


The back of the card is like reading an encyclopedia.


An order form was included in the package.  
Good luck to anyone selling these 3 sets for $125 nowadays.


The other side of the order form.  Great buys nowadays if you're a vintage collector.  Hey I'll take 100 different cards from the 1965 set for only $35!  I should have bought this package a long time ago!

If you're a collector that's into variations, this set is full of them.  Most of mine are of the "no logo" variety (I have no intention of chasing any variations).  This isn't a set that I would liken to a fine wine, I just don't think it's gotten better with age.  If the price wasn't right I probably never would have considered it, but at least now I can say I have a full set.  


Comments

  1. Technically you still need to find the second series of them as well the Variants to get a complete set if you are interested I can help you find what you need still

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very surprised Hygrade made the call to use rubber bands. Not sure exactly when that became taboo among collectors. I know I stored my 70's Star Wars cards with them, but don't remember ever doing it with my baseball cards (started collecting them in the early 80's).

    Anyways... cool set for a decent price. If I found these for 12¢ each at a card show, I'd be stoked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the collectors kit and these cards, got them in 1987 when I started collecting. Lots of fun and cards like these taught me baseball history.. I picked up the second series, in a package like this, about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a kid, I was fascinated with hearing about Three Finger Brown. He could make the ball do crazy things with the grip he had to use. He lost his fingers in a farming accident...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, rubber bands? In a sealed package?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment