Catching Up with Pickups

 

Outside of card shows and my trip to South Dakota, I've been picking up cards here and there. Actually, I have had quite a few cards staring at me from my desk - which is starting to overflow - so I thought it's about time I start searching for storage solutions.  It's a bummer my closest LCS shut its doors, which makes getting boxes a bit of a chore for me.  So while I'm waiting for some deliveries and before these cards are put away, I thought I'd show off a few.

I'll start with this '75 Hostess Craig Nettles.  Nettles was drafted by and played a couple years for my Twins. He was valued so much by the Twins that they packaged him, Dean Chance, Bob Miller and Ted Uhlaender to Cleveland for Luis Tiant and Stan Williams.  He was then traded by Cleveland to the Yankees, where his career really took off.  So while the Twins didn't need him, I did for my set build.


I managed to get this card for a song.  It's a bit beat up, but that's OK for my 1960 set build.


On the newer side of things, these are my first two Gyspy Queen cards, and minis for good measure.  I'm not sure about chasing this set but they are kind of cool.  Though it might take time to grow on me.


For my football collection, this is a pretty sharp '78 Tarkenton.  However the back has a wax stain, which wasn't in the description.


Back to the vintage side, my 1970 set build is nearly 87% complete.


These three '52 commons were nice additions and were relatively cheap ($15).


These Arraez cards are great for my PC.  I really like that Silver Slugger Award card.


I couldn't refuse this for $1.  It would be great to have both players sign this.  It is amazing how Arraez's stats parallel that of Carew.  I'm still upset about that trade.


That's not a '77 card, but it is my first cloth sticker!  I'll take these any time.


Finally, long time reader RJ saw my recent POST about my so-called 1995 Studio set and sent 5 needs my way.  Thank you RJ!

There are a few shows this weekend I'm hoping to attend in between some grad parties.  Hopefully I'll be able to land more set needs soon.  Until next time happy hunting and thanks for reading!



Comments

  1. Voting for Mathews. I've seen plenty of cards from that era in worse shape.
    I have the card version of that Winfield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A. Big fan of Arraez. Just like I was a big fan of Carew when I was a kid. Super glad his recent injury isn't serious. He's been one of the lone bright spots on the Padres in recent weeks.

    B. That 1977 Topps Cloth set is super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great looking vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm upset about the more recent Arraez trade. Marlins need to be sent down to the B League. ... Love the cloth stickers, that's something I need to chase more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the Mathews card. Arraez is doing great since the last trade. I've always said that his cards are sleepers and I try to get them when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our interactions have been somewhat limited, but RJ is good people. I like the Tarkenton. I collect him, but rarely ever add cards to his collection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment