Back to the 50's

I thought I would add to my string of vintage card posts with a few cards from the 1950's (you can never have too many cards from that decade).  Those that survived in great shape after decades of being stored away generally command a steep premium.  So I don't mind targeting these well loved thick pieces of cardboard.


Especially early 50's cards.  1951 Bowman is a set I don't target but I don't mind them.


These undersized cards are works of art.


Even the horizontal presentation is awesome.  Wish I knew what ballpark is in the background.


1952 Topps is an iconic set.  I don't have many cards from this but when I can get them for less then $5,  I don't turn it down.


Since my purchase from last year's trip I'll take these in whatever condition they come in.


I like the way this card is cropped.  The coloring reminds me of the '57 set.


It's been awhile since I was able to add to my 1956 set build.  These 4 will do nicely.


Speaking of 56, I also picked up some football cards.  I have a small stack of these but it's not a set I'm pursuing (yet).


Finally I added this Hetki from the 1954 set.  Again, this isn't a set I'm pursuing but the price was right.

No big names here that really stand out, just some good value vintage adds.  There's another card show this weekend so hopefully I can find more set needs.  In the meantime, my nephew joined my brother to produce another Backseat Breaks video.  Enjoy!





Comments

  1. Those old Bowmans especially are beautiful cards. Nice pickups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ballpark shown in the background of Jerry Priddy's '51 Bowman looks like Briggs Stadium in Detroit. A series of similar looking enclosed structures ran along the top of the stands and their presence would be a good way to emphasize that Priddy was now playing for the Tigers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. '50s cards must show signs of handling for my taste. They don't have to be abused, but '50s cards with sharp corners look almost fake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that I still had my 51 Bowman Mantle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of all the vintage Bowman sets... 1951 is my favorite. The indeed are little works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking cards. I like that one where Alex Grammas is backhanding a ground ball.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big fan of the early 50's Topps and Bowman sets, but I too used pick up cheap ones at shows just because it seemed like it would've been a crime not to. I still have some, but a lot of them ended up being sent to fellow bloggers (most of whom are no longer blogging).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment